Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Does Your Season Change?


I'm often asked whether your Season changes as you age. In the 80's we were told "No" but now we recognise that the answer is "Maybe" (!)


Assuming the colour consultant was right when she identified your Season, then I've found you tend to stay that throughout life.


However, I have also noticed that a little fine tuning is necessary. For example, I'm a Winter but now my hair is greying, I can't wear Black as well as I did - it's better softened to Charcoal or kept away from my face (and teamed with a skin-flattering colour eg scarf or necklace).


So I did some research to see if this is true for others and have concluded that we tend to cool and soften as we age; which means that our best colours are also cooler and softer (muted).


You know for yourself that you can tell when a woman is colouring her hair if she chooses the same dark colour she had in her 20's, it doesn't look natural (and no, I'm not saying don't colour your hair - just remember to lighten it as you age).


I recommend that as your hair greys or 'naturally lightens', you opt for the lighter, cooler colours in your Season.


For example, a Spring client requested a wardrobe audit following a Small Group workshop. Years earlier she'd been identified as a Spring but now the Summer tones looked good. Had she changed? Not really, but she did need to fine tune and opt for the cooler colours in her palette.


As I tell all my clients; not ALL the colours in your palette will be 'magic' on you - just some of them. Have fun discovering which ones and remember to adjust and update them as time goes by.



No comments: