Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Getting Married

Maybe it's you or someone close to you. Isn't there a lot of planning involved?!

For me, it's my sister who's getting married.... Alison is my younger sister who is taller (she's my big Little Sister, and I'm her little Big Sister).

We started talking about what to wear months ago! She's a Winter (like me) but her style personality is very different: Natural (major) with Expressive (minor).

We had a good look around the Tauranga shops in January when Alison visited (she lives in Auckland). As we walked and talked we narrowed down what she did and didn't want.

Naturals like to feel comfortable in their clothes, they're more informal even when dressed up, and rather practical. Alison rarely wears dresses and she wanted to feel really at ease on her special day. We agreed that a lovely jacket and trousers would fit the bill, and could be worn again together or separately on other occasions.

Meanwhile Alison located a highly recommended dressmaker with whom she could work, who happened to have a background in style consulting (very handy). Together they created a design that was appropriate for the Dressy occasion and flattering to Alison.

In March we went shopping for fabric and found the perfect choice for the jacket; a gorgeous light brocade mostly greys and silver with daubs of black and an all-over geometric pattern. The trousers are silvery grey with a soft sheen and beautiful drape.

The months in between have been filled with organising everything plus fittings to ensure the outfit is perfectly tailored.

Silver jewellery & peep-toe sling-backs .... I can't wait to see it all come together!

What am I wearing? Oh yes, I'm glad you asked. My daughter Cherie gave me some gorgeous silk from Cambodia. It's a bright pink-red and I had it made up into a coat-dress, with black accessories. The wedding is in a church, so quite formal, followed by an afternoon tea/reception in the adjacent hall.

Photos will be on my Facebook business page soon - www.facebook.com/personalstylenz

No comments: